How to Add or Remove Names on Land Title in BC

June 22, 2022 | Published by

If you’ve just purchased a new home or experienced the death of a spouse, you may need to revisit the basics of property title transfer. This blog post contains a short guide to title transfers in BC and how the real estate experts at Morris Law can ensure that new ownership takes effect quickly and correctly.

What is land title?

Land title is a legal term referring to the record of ownership of a piece of property. Title can be held by one person, by fellow investors (such as a parent), or by spouses. Every home in BC has a title and registered names.

Who should be listed on a title?

Different scenarios dictate who might best be placed on title, but here are some considerations.

“Joint tenancy” is generally preferred for spouses. This means that two or more people own property in equal portions, with an equal right to use the whole property. When one joint tenant dies, the property is transferred to the survivor. This set-up avoids probate fees and estate taxes.

“Tenancy in common” is generally preferred for shared arrangements or blended families. In this case, if one tenant dies, that person’s share of the property becomes part of their estate and will be distributed to beneficiaries.

Going on title with an adult child may involve paying property transfer tax. If you are thinking of holding a property in joint tenancy with an adult child for estate planning purposes, you should consult a lawyer.

How do I add or remove a person from my existing property title?

In BC, the Land Title and Survey Authority of BC (LTSA) manages all information about registered properties. Making a change involves many documents such as ownership documents, property tax bills, bank confirmation and property insurance.

Every notary or lawyer who provides real estate services has an account with the LTSA and can generate and register the necessary forms quickly and easily. You may choose to prepare these documents by yourself, but be aware that they are complex and you may be subject to time delays.

Why hire a legal professional?

When it comes to title transfers, you can benefit from the services of Morris Law. We will:

  • Advise you on legal implications of property title changes and answer outstanding questions.
  • Guide you on compliance with statutory forms and organize them accordingly.
  • Offer enhanced fraud protection.
  • Provide you with the current State of Title Certificate, which is a certified true copy of the new title record.

At Morris Law, we have helped complete hundreds of real estate transactions in Greater Vancouver and have the expertise it takes to help title transfers run smoothly and efficiently. Contact our office to learn more about how we can help you complete your title transfer today.